Thursday, October 16, 2008

Random Negro Stories File: The Staffer

Hey people. I’m gonna be MIA until Monday when I fill you in about my Howard Homecoming Winning Weekend. No I don’t actually expect them to win the game (Howard is not known for its athletic programs), but it just sounded good. Like those radio promotions when you call in to win free tickets to stuff. Anyway I’ve got a quick story to tell y’all.

So where was I? Oh Homecoming. So I’m at work this morning waiting on this Committee hearing to start. (Sidebar: You know they are really ruining my “recess.” I mean my local Congressman is back in his district probably campaigning or something, why can’t they be?) Anyway I overhear these two dudes talking about Howard Homecoming. After a while I interject and ask if either of them went to Howard. One actually did and we start the whole when did you graduate, what events are you going to thing. The dude he was talking to had to run, but we kept talking.

Turns out he’s the IT Director for one of the Committees I regularly cover, so he’ll be called The Staffer. Trying to get into my networking mode I ask him if he has a card and he’s like I’ll get one for you. I thought it was one of those lines that people say when they really don’t want to give you their card, so I was surprised when he actually came back to the room and hands me his card. I gave him mine and he left.

I got this email about some alumni parties for the weekend, so I sent him a quick email telling him about the parties and that it was nice to meet him. He replied saying it was nice to meet me as well and thanked me for the party information. I reply no problem. And then he writes back, “Sorry I know you are probably busy but after sitting in the hearing for about 2 hours you may be a little hungry. If you are free after this is over we should grab lunch.”

After some consultation with SuperDave about the nature of this invite (Is it a date or just a networking opportunity?) I accept the offer and tell him I just have to finish up some work and drop my stuff off and I’ll be free.

I’m thinking since we’re on the Hill we’ll just go to one of the cafeterias on site, so when he suggested going to Uno’s I’m starting to think this isn’t just networking. I’m not a big Uno’s fan so I ask him what else he’s got in mind and we agree on going to the Capitol City Brewery not too far from Union Station.

I dropped my stuff off and did a quick hair/makeup check. Date or not you will not catch me slipping. I meet him outside of his office and we walk over there. As we sit down he starts asking me all these date type questions like what’s my favorite food and where’s my family and stuff, so I conclude that this is indeed a date. He did pay and as we walked back to the Hill he was like well it was nice and said he’d give me a call and maybe we could do it again next week.

So there! I finally met someone in person and outside of the club scene. I thought I was going to be totally dependent on the Internet to find dates, but guess what?!? Ya girl still got it!

4 comments:

Young woman on a journey said...

uh oh! that's what's up!

Dave Van Buren said...

wow.. a normal "how i met your mother" story. I never thought I would see the day... I kid I kid

E2Deep said...

Second date you better find out if has any baggages or mental issues.

1/3 said...

aww thats a really cute story!!! yea i always got a fear of not meeting someone in person too. I hope that second date goes as good as the first:-)