Friday, October 24, 2008

Random Negro Stories File: Dirty Old Man With a Cause

Hey peoples. Sorry for my MIAness. Life got in the way of blogging, but I have a few moments and a story that I must must must share with you guys.

This afternoon I was walking to my office from the Hill and I pass by this old man. Because my luck would have it he swoops in from the corner up to me and says, “My my my, the gates of heaven must have opened up and let you right on out.”

Amused by his compliment I smile and say, “Apparently.” I tried quickening my pace to lose him, but he keeps up with me and keeps going on about how I’m such a beautiful woman and what not. Then he starts talking about this newspaper created to give homeless men a way to make money other than just begging on the street. I look up and notice his “Street Sense” badge. Oh so that’s what this was about. This bamma was sweet talking me to get me to give him some change. He’s like anything you can give to help is fine. I mean it’s a really good skit. They get some money, you get a tangible product. It’s win-win. I’ll encourage my local Congressman to get this going in Maryland.

I reach in my bag and give him a dollar and try to move on my merry way, but he’s not done with me. He’s like, “One more thing can I take you out later tonight for a piece of chicken?” *Insert Record Scratch* Something to keep in mind: these Street Sense vendors are homeless people, not just the volunteers helping them out, but the homeless people themselves! According to their website, “The vendors make an average of $40 a day, and some have even been able to use this money to move out of the shelter.” So I guess he can afford the chicken, but still! I don’t know how I feel about getting hit on by homeless men.

Being polite I said no thank you I already have plans tonight. (I do! Supposedly going on a date to see the new Saw movie.) Why did this man say, “That’s ok. I’ll bring him a piece of chicken too!” What in ham sandwich?!? I laughed and walked away and he finally moved on probably to his next customer/potential date.

7 comments:

Dave Van Buren said...

lol... the program is working. He already has more confidence.

mp1 said...

yo, thats hot. You got hit on by a guy who possibly has some journalistic sensibilities. lol

The Black Russian said...

I heard that record scratch lol... lol aww he does have confidence and some game good for him lol...this is the most random negro story i have read by you yet lol.....have a good weekend

EmberRose said...

That's so cute. Odd as hell but cute.

Ceecee said...

Yes I agree-it's working lol- that's so cute...

Saule Wright said...

Hey, no one on the corner has swag like us. That dude was like, yo, gimmie dat (c) Chris Brown. I ain't EVEN mad at dude. Trips pullin the homeless pimps now?

E2Deep said...

lol Thats the new line for me "can I take you out for a piece of chicken"