Friday, August 1, 2008

Random Negro Stories File: The Invisible Man

So remember that relationship I was on the cusp of getting into? Well yea...we’re gonna scratch that from the record. Bad for me, but good for y’all, because what would this blog be if I weren't able to rant about all the ain't shit bammas I come across?

Add to the list Iraq. No he’s not really a foreign national, but he was (maybe still is) stationed there. He’s a Navy man. We met on Myspace a couple of months ago. I was bored and was searching for people to chat with over a Congressional recess. The pic he had posted had the nicest smile—almost rivaled mine, so I was intrigued. I sent him a note complimenting his smile and he wrote me back saying the same. We got to chatting and before too long we agreed to meet when he came back—which was supposedly last week.

We made all these grand plans to go to The Cheesecake Factory after I flew in from Chicago. He even called me the Tuesday and Wednesday before hand to confirm our Sunday date so I have no idea why I have yet to lay eyes on this brotha. I got home that Sunday from the airport and got a snack, took a nap, and logged on to see if he’d gotten my messages with my address. He did. So I’m figuring ok, well let me go ahead and get dressed because he should be here soon. So it’s six p.m.—our previously agreed upon time and he hasn't shown up yet. No worries, I kinda live in the boonies and my apt building is hard to find. Six-thirty comes. Nothing. Seven p.m. Still nothing. Why didn't you call him and see what’s going on you ask? Because I couldn't. Since he was overseas he didn't have a cell phone, so whenever we talked on the phone he called. By Seven-thirty I’d changed my clothes, ran up to this chicken spot called Cluck-U and sulked while scarfing down 10 traditional hot wings—with Ranch dressing. You should be proud of me though I didn't pop in When Harry Met Sally, my go to movie for my sad moments.

The next morning I send him a note on Myspace asking if everything was ok with him and to let me know what was up. I've never been stood up before so I've run the gamut of emotions on this one. First I was sad. Then angry. Like really, you’re just not gonna show up? But then I thought to myself maybe he's not back on American soil yet. Maybe he’s angry that he's still over there and is shutting me out. I almost wrote my local Congressman to see if he could get me on a convoy trip to Iraq so I could try to find him.

That was the best I could come up with to not feel like the whole thing was a sham. It's what I told myself for the past week to not feel duped by a guy that for two months called me beautiful, told me that he felt a connection with me and feigned excitement about meeting me. Hours after I sent the are you ok message I saw that he read it and thus far he has not responded. He logged in today and still nothing. It’s taking everything out of me to not send him a good cuss out message. I can’t lie, most of me is hoping that he’ll have a good explanation and that I’ll be able to go back to my happy "ooh isn't romance great" world.

Most of the folks I've told this story to is like oh just get over it, it was just two months on Myspace. But to me it wasn't. We spent hours at a time on the phone, on IM on web cam. I knew him, or I thought I did. I felt like he was my chance, like he was going to be the one to put an end to my Random Negro Stories File. But it lives on, so stay tuned for the next installment.

8 comments:

mp1 said...

maybe it's post traumatic stress syndrome?

but to log on and ignore the message has me iffy on dude. Beyond iffy. Just completely shut you out now? That's not cool at all.

Dave Van Buren said...

What about me? I had to hear about this dude everyday for 2 months. he owes me an explanation.. lmao If I see him I'ma punch him in the face for you.

Young woman on a journey said...

Yeah, i think you just have to chuck this one the dueces. Really, to have the audacity to actually check the message and not responding, knowing he was doing so on a venue where you were privy to that type of information...its just down right rude.

I was in one relationship (off and on 2 years) where that negro used to stand me up and or be late (he usually had good excuses, including the death of his mom, but it didn't make it easier to swallow). Now if someone doesn't have the courtesy to call if they are late, grounds for immediate cut off. and i never anticipate things until its happening (like he's like, i'm outside).

Don't feel bad, just let it be a lesson learned. trust no one till they prove themselves worthy.

Young woman on a journey said...

oops...sorry...my first time commenting and i leave a whole post without introducing myself.

Its my first time commenting on your blog, but i'm an avid reader! Love your blog!

MP said...

I love blog like this. This is my first time here- referred from another blog (baby daddy diaries) I used to read a blog titled confessions of a serial dater but he stopped blogging. So thank you for filling the void in my life so nicely! :)

Jazzy said...

wow...if I knew you better i'd trade some of my yahoo meet and greet stories with you...you'd definitely feel better about NOT meeting him.

i'm kinda pissed for you though. you two have been talking for two months and even on webcam so you KNOW he's not really some ole geezer with a fake profile pic.

just odd...give him a couple days. if you still don't hear anything CURSE HIS AZZ OUT. you'll feel better! you will...let me know if you need some pointers. lol

RealHustla said...

Forget about it. It's probably best. Don't pass up this opportunity to get out now. If you try to track him down to find out what happened he might lure your back in. If you forgive him you could end up being his psychiatrist during the whole relationship. Is that what you want?

CocaColaCutie said...

I've thought about sending another note to again ask him what's going on. I've thought about sending him a good cuss out note. But I'm not going to do either, because it would infuriate me for him to not respond. So I'm working on accepting it. I bought a bunch of MAC on Saturday. Makeup always makes me feel better.