Monday, November 10, 2008

You Betta Getchu One

I don't feel like boring you with mushy, gushy details of my weekend with The Bison, so instead I bring you a rare reflective post.

The first-family elect has brought to the forefront the endless possibilities of a strong black family unit. It’s encouraging to now hear my male friends say they are looking for their “Michelle” since my closest friends and I always joked that the easiest way to get wifed up was to not do anything with your life. It seemed that our “hot commodity” bachelor friends were always choosing unmotivated women—women with no passion other than to serve their men—as their mates. One by one they provided “proof” of our completely unscientific conclusion.

Now I’m hopeful that watching Barack and Michelle in White House will mean that black men will no longer be afraid to have a strong woman by their side. That it’ll be ok for as Neyo says to “love her cause she got her own.” (Special thanks to all the local Congressmen who lent their support to help them become the first family and an inspiration to all.)

This shift has brought about my own self-analysis about whether or not I am a “Michelle.” Would I complement a “Barack?” I look good on paper, but there’s more to mere professional accolades to being a “Michelle.” She has a style and grace that no Ivy League school could have cultivated.

I wonder am I strong enough on my own yet submissive enough to allow the right man to lead our future family and me? It’s a balance that the self-described “mom-in-chief” has gracefully achieved. She hasn’t given up who she is to let her man shine. Best friends for sixteen years, her light helps him shine. I’m sure he’d tell you that any day of the week.

So as I explore my romantic interest, I’m striving to be the best “Michelle” I can be and hoping that he’ll be my “Barack.” What I want is less about being that “Washington power couple” and more about developing a love that will stand the test of time and enable us to add another notch to the strong black family column that for so long has deteriorated. Ladies and gents as my bff says, “you better getchu one.”

3 comments:

Dave Van Buren said...

So you think the first family will put an end to jumpoffs? Interesting... I'm all for it. I know I need to find my "Michelle" asap.

Saule Wright said...

I ain't readin that, I wanna hear about the details!!!

kayellejaye said...

Love this post! If I'm not a Michelle yet, I'm well on my way.